Monday, July 30, 2007

The Rock Revolution Won't Be Televised

I’d considered writing this entry as a devotion of thanks to the Dave Matthews fans whose helpful advice and constructive criticism about how I must be on welfare, be ugly, be unloved, be desperate, be conservative, be a teenybopper, be utterly evil helped me to come to the realization that Dave Matthews is OHMYGODTHEBESTTHINGEVER!!!111!!one!

I had planned to reassure everyone that I was, in fact, listening to “Under the Table and Dreaming” while frantically masturbating to a VHS copy of “Because of Winn Dixie” and etching a prison ink-style tattoo of “DMB4EVA” in the flesh directly over my heart.

However, I’d like to be able to open my email without seeing my inbox full of notifications from Blogger that 30 more nameless people have said something contradictory, nonsensical and often downright ignorant in the semi-anonymity of the internet, or tried to start a fight with one of my friends (Hi Trapper! Hi Cimba! Hi Notboto Board posters!)
Plus, geez. You all just said the same thing over and over, and to be honest, it stopped being funny after the fourth or fifth post. I guess it stands to reason that rabid fans of an unoriginal musical act wouldn’t be too original in their insults.

However, I do appreciate all the return visits to my blog—the increased traffic has been awesome. Also, the other two members of the Maxipads thank you very much for all of the plays on our MySpace. Please purchase our album.

I was honestly surprised that a lot of people, even after hearing my band, assumed that I was a teenybopper—sort of weird, especially considering that Dave Matthews is like Mr. Radio, and I’m in a loud punk rock band. Who’s the teenybopper? Then I realized that despite how important (and time-consuming) music is in my life, I rarely talk about what I’m into on this blog. So here’s what I’m listening to these days.

Oh, and I disabled comments because, well, I own this blog, so thus, I get the last word. And the last word is that Dave Matthews is crap, and stuff that I like is awesome.

So! My current rotation:

Metric- Old World Underground
This is one of those albums that I’ll listen to until I can’t stand it anymore, and then I’ll put it away for about a week and pull it back out, because it’s so damn good.

Jawbreaker- Dear You
This came out in 1995, and it took me 12 years to appreciate it.

Minus the Bear- Planet of Ice
I’m a huge Minus the Bear fan, and Robbo and I got an advance copy of their new record, Planet of Ice, that is due out next month. It’s seriously amazing, it’ll blow you away.

Rainer Maria- Catastrophe Keeps Us Together
RM’s last album ever, so that’s a bummer, but it was also their most polished and I’d say, cohesive. Give it a listen.

My Niece Denise- Don’t Get Your Hopes Up
An awesome showing from a local Pittsburgh quartet—I do the same thing with this that I do with the Metric album in trying to put it away for awhile and the next thing I know, I’m dancing around to “Big in Japan.”

Spoon- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
I like this. I’ve always been a casual Spoon fan, and this was their first record that really grabbed me. Yeah.

Rihanna- Umbrella
Yeah, I downloaded the single, so what. Oh wait, guess that makes me a teenybopper. Whatever, this song is hot.




DMB4EVA!!!!!!

No comments: